Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Old School TV Christmas Specials Rule!

I still can't get enough of those old Christmas specials, from Rudolph to Charlie Brown, from Frosty to The Grinch.
Up until recently, I hadn't watched them in years. I spent a lot of years being single, and the last thing I was going to do was sit down and re-live my childhood through a Christmas show. I don't think I watched any television at all, other than sports and news, during the 1990s.
Now, with the kids old enough to watch, we sit down as a family and view the shows every time they come on. The networks do a great job of broadcasting them several times over the holiday season.
My favorites are Rudolph, Charlie Brown and The Grinch. I really enjoy those stop-motion animation ones, such as Rudolph. Some of my more obscure favorites include "The Year Without A Santa Claus," with Mr. Heatmiser, and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town," which chronicles Santa from birth. I haven't caught one of those yet this year.
I like the cartoon Grinch as well as the movie.
They don't make TV Christmas specials like these anymore. The attempts at sequels, such as "Frosty Returns," which has one of the weakest theme songs ever, come up short.
However, I will say that Shrek, which debuted this year, has grown on me. I laugh every time I see the Gingerbread Man's horrific perception of an monstrous, insane, cookie-addicted Santa.
But my big question in all this is whatever happened to "The Little Drummer Boy," one of my childhood favorites?
Maybe I missed something, but I can't recall that one being broadcast in years. I wonder if it was offensive in some way. I'll keep watching the TV listings.
Oh well, at least Frosty is on again tonight, followed by "Frosty Returns," which wouldn't be so horrible if it weren't for that uncatchy "Let There Be Snow" song, which is so bad that I can't even find it on YouTube.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Blog Collection said...

Very interesting blog. We would like to list it on our blog directory bigblogcollection.blogspot.com

Be one of the first to list your blog

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home