Monday, November 12, 2007

The Dog-Hitting Coward Drove Away

Every weekend afternoon around 4 p.m. becomes driveway party time at the Pearson spread out in Pinewood.
The neighbor, whom I call The Right Hand of God for all the help he's given to us the past year or so, will come over with a big glass of whiskey, and we'll sit in the driveway, poke fun at the passersby and observe nature, such as the hawks, owls and other flying critters that call Pinewood home.
Sometimes other neighbors, and even their dogs, come over, and then a little party ensues.
However, yesterday's party ended rather abruptly with the sickening sound of bumper on flesh out in the street. The Right Hand of God didn't have a clear view and thought my son might have been struck. I had a clear view and saw that it was the neighbor's dog, a 14-year-old German shepherd mix, that got his rear end pasted.
The dog's owners - including two young elementary school kids - saw it happen, a horrible thing for a child to have to see.
What happened next caused the blood in my head to turn into habanero sauce. The car's driver hesitated for a second but then just sped off down the street.
Considering that the old dog was large and moved at a rather glacial speed, I suspect the driver was drunk, talking on a cell phone or distracted in some way.
But to not stop was cowardly and inexcusable.
The neighbor's kids were crying and trying to comfort the dog. Then a funny thing happened: The dog got up and started walking around, looking as if he were wondering what all the fuss was about.
Considering the impact's sound, I thought for sure that this dog was dead. And he might very well be by now. I haven't talked to the neighbors since last night.
What frightened me the most is that it very well could have been one of my children who got hit. My wife and I work very hard to teach them the dangers of cars, but you just never know when a kid will slip up for a second and run out into a street, with a parent's worst nightmare ensuing.
I pray that the cowardly driver at least learned some kind of lesson out of this, to be more alert and careful driving around in a neighborhood where lots of kids play and dogs roam free.
I'll be looking for that car when I'm out on my run tomorrow morning, and if I find it, I plan to have a conversation with its driver.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Allen said...

I to live in Pinewood and I agree that the driver should have been paying more attention and stopped and checked on the dog. Several residents travel too fast thru the neighborhood. However, it is a shame that the dog owners in Pinewood let their animals run lose. Next time my garbage can is knocked over and spread all over my driveway maybe one of them can come over and help me clean it up. The dog owner is partly to blame. The animal should have been in an enclosed area. To bad we do not have a leash law and more enforcement on speeding.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Brian Pearson said...

I totally agree about the loose dogs.

I've been harassed more times than I can count while I'm out running, but a little pepper spray has remedied that. Most of the dogs don't even bother to get up and bark when they see me coming now.

I also agree about the speeders. Twice in recent weeks, some dumb kid has wrecked a car out there. One took out the entrance sign, and I found another flipped in a ditch while out running early on a Saturday morning.

I'm hoping the sheriff's office will set up a little speed trap there on Pinemont, and my neighbor and I will sit out there, pound a few and laugh our asses off as people get pulled over.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Brian Pearson said...

By the way, the doggie, named Shiloh, seems to be OK.

She was right in the driveway and woofing at me after my morning run, just like she always does.

This time, I went over and gave her a pat.

Long live Shiloh, you miracle beast!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home