Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Staph Infections Are End-Of-The-World Stuff

The bump on my chin a few years ago seemed like a typical zit, one of those ones that pops up after a teeny shaving nick.
Only, the bump got bigger. And bigger. And bigger.
Soon, I had an angry red golf ball sticking out of my chin. It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.
During a clinic trip, the doctor cut a hole in it, drained it a bit and then prescribed me some antibiotics. The stuff that oozed out of it over the next few days was a teenager's dream.
An unfortunate and embarrassing aspect of all that was that I had a tough trumpet solo the next night with the Lamar Concert Band, where I played as a continuing education student. Due to the chin pain and swelling, the solo came out sounding like a goose being boiled alive.
The angry golf ball took days to disappear.
Less than a month later, a chigger bite on my leg turned into another nasty bump, which went away on its own. A few weeks later, another bug bite did the same thing.
Then I got one on my left thigh, and it had no intention of going away.
The near-purple infection pattern on my leg was bigger than palm-sized. It eclipsed the chin bump in the pain department and grew worse.
On a return clinic visit, I was informed that I had a staph infection. This time, it required two highly painful, turkey-baster-sized antibiotic shots plus some pills to get rid of the thing.
I still have a crater and terrible memories, but I haven't had an infection like that since thing.
As a staph infection victim, I am horrified over the recent news of even worse infection bugs running around out there, becoming more resistant to medicine.
In my mind, the end of mankind will not come about as a result of war, nuclear holocaust, a comet or a dying sun. It will come about due to some nasty, highly infectious disease for which there is no cure and nowhere to hid. If we go by way of staph infection, expect an ugly, painful death, my friends.
So wash your hands often, hope the medical industry can keep pace and pray to live another day.
And if you are prescribed antibiotics, be damned sure to take them as directed. Otherwise, you're just contributing to the problem by allowing more resistant bug strains to develop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home