Monday, October 01, 2007

Roller Rink Fight Makes Me Sad

We carried a story today about a near riot at a Beaumont roller rink.
The report did not detail how the dustup started, but the incident Saturday involved "several" fights involving parents, pepper spray and backup officers called to Mannings Texas On Wheels Roller Rink on College Street.
When I was a kid, I saw a few fights between adults. I remember two rednecks going at it outside a pool hall next to a Mexican restaurant our family frequented. I remember a huge bully knocking out another guy at the beach. I remember a drunken guy at the deer lease trying to pick a fight with my dad.
These incidents made me sad and disappointed in adults.
I suppose some people just like to lose control and get into a punchup.
As for the roller-rink melee, I think about all those frightened children subjected to that kind of violence. Many degrees of innocence were lost for those kids, at a happy little roller rink, of all places.
Now, some of those kids some day will be less inclined to back away from a fight themselves.
Sad. Pathetic.

3 Comments:

Blogger SouthernBell said...

Dang, man. You never change.
How is Amy?

1:09 PM  
Blogger SingingSkies said...

Years ago I taught roller skating at Manning's. When I read the article, my first reaction was sadness for the changes: the need for a security guard in the first place, the fighting with all those kids around, and the scary situation in general.

Friday and Saturday nights have always been crowded, and crowds often lead to testy interactions. But, when I was teaching, they were usually more verbal than anything else and quickly deflected by the rink staff. I know life has changed significantly since I last taught, but it is still a bit of a shock to see just how much.

9:58 PM  
Blogger ~Ivy said...

my kids asked me if i'd take them skating. My first thoughts were no because of that incident.. They didnt have to have security when I was little..

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home