Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Summer TV Viewing Is The Bomb

With two young kids in the house, there has been a lot of staying home and watching television. The wife and I have never been the type that need to go out all the time anyway. Family life takes center stage.
So we get into a lot of television shows. Sure, I could read a book after the kids go to bed, but I read and edit news copy all day, so going home and reading a book is a lot like a surgeon going home and removing his cat's appendix for entertainment.
At night, I want to stare at something other than words.
The wife and I used to dread the summer as far as TV goes. We'd rent a lot of videos and DVDs and catch up on shows we'd never seen before, such as "The Sopranos" and "24."
But now, there is plenty to watch in the summer.
We like "Big Brother" a lot. We used to like "The Mole" and that show where they audition singers for a rock band, but I don't think they're on anymore.
Our favorite summer shows have gotten to be beauty pageants, which are more like comedies to us. After the first round of cuts, the wife and I each pick three contestants and cheer them on, with a bet of a home-cooked meal or something on the line.
Last night, for the Miss Universe pageant, I picked Brazil, Venezuela and Mexico, while the wife picked Tanzania, USA and some other contestant whose home country eludes me right now. Whoever it was didn't go very far.
My three went a long way in the competition. It was down to Brazil and Japan in the end, with Japan pulling what I thought was an upset.
But the evening's highlight had nothing to do with who won. No, the best part was when Miss USA, Rachel Smith from Tennessee, slipped and fell hard on her butt during the evening-gown walkabout.
From what I can tell of the video, which is burning up the Internet today, she slipped on her dress. In all our years of watching pageants, this was a first.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/05/29/miss-usa-eats-it-in-mexico/

Contestants probably practice walking as much as Michael Jordan used to practice free throws and Tiger Woods hits the driving range, so the fall was equally shocking and hilarious. To make matters worse, the boisterous crowd in Mexico City loudly booed Smith later in the pageant.
Smith - who graduated from Belmont University Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor's of science in journalism and served as the managing editor of the campus newspaper - was one of my wife's picks when we watched the Miss USA pageant back in March.
The wife grew more enthusiastic in her support of Smith during that pageant when I mentioned that if she lost, I'd try to hire her for a reporter position at The Enterprise.

http://www.missusa.com/missusa/index.html

I can't imagine why the wife was not supportive of that idea. Smith seems like a fine, intelligent young woman.
Despite her infamous fall, Smith will spend the next 10 months or so doing her Miss USA duties until a new one is crowned. After that, maybe Donald Trump, the pageant king, will get her a high-paying job somewhere.
I figure Smith's chances of working at The Enterprise are about as good as her opening a walking college for aspiring pageant contestants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home