Monday, February 19, 2007

Video Tribute

My brother-in-law, Mark Fusco, put together a fantastic slide show covering my dad's life.
The goal was to have it play at the funeral services, but due to equipment limitations in the chapel, it was decided to have the slide show playing during the reception.
I spent a heartbreaking afternoon scanning in a majority of the photos, which I wanted to capture his lifespan, from the time he was a baby, through young adulthood, into war, later family life and then old age.
It marked the peak of the grieving process for me because it helped put his whole grand life into perspective.
It even includes the last photo ever taken of him, using my camera phone. I hesitated to use it, due to the morbidity of it, but there is a touching beauty to it, with my mom holding his hand during the fleeting moments where we still believed he had a chance to survive.
Other siblings added some more pictures, and Mark put it all together.
At first, I thought about having Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" as the background music, but then I remembered something from my childhood, a classical guitar piece that John Williams (the guitar player, not the "Star Wars" composer) had on his greatest hits album.
Dad and I listened to a tape of it on our first adventure to Brady, Texas, home of the state championship muzzleloader competition. I was seeing the Hill Country for the first time, and the piece was playing, and all was well, beautiful and exciting. I'll never forget it.
Another version can be heard on the soundtrack of the Academy Award-winning John Wayne movie, "The Cowboys," a favorite that Dad and I watched together several times.
But finding the Williams performance of that piece proved to be difficult. I have it on album at home, but converting that for use in a DVD slide show would require some high-tech effort using my eight-track digital recorder. And I could not find "John Williams' Greatest Hits" anywhere on the Internet.
However, we managed to find the performance on another collection of Williams' performances, so "Concerto For Lute (Guitar), 2 Violins (Strings) And Basso Continuo InDMajor, R. 93: II. Largo" finally became the background music.
The video was a smash hit at the reception. People stood mesmerized. It's a fantastic work.
So here it is.
Grab some tissue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTeTIDIC1k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home