Monday, February 05, 2007

Super Bowl Commercials Not So Super

Super Bowl watchers year after year look forward to the commercials, sometimes more than they do the games, which tend to run somewhere between blowout and boring.
However, I can't remember the last time that a Super Bowl commercial made me laugh or make my jaw drop.
During the weeklong hype leading up to the game, news stories noted that advertisers this year were going back to their comedic roots, promising lots of laughs.
But despite spending millions of dollars on these ads, they failed to draw a chuckle in my house.
About the only commercial I found mildly amusing was the two scruffy dudes - much like the spaghetti scene in "Lady and the Tramp" - going after opposite ends of a Snickers bar. The usually solid and hilarious Budweiser commercials also disappointed.
Remember the frogs? Cedric the Entertainer? Clydesdales playing football?
And who could forget cat herding?
I remember when the non-comedy ads were at least interesting or entertaining.
Perhaps next year, instead of trying to be funny, they should shoot for nostalgia and bring back some of those old commercials.
That way, they'll have two years to come up with at least one funny idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Ivy said...

I havent seen them but I had atleast 15 people tell me the same exact thing!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home