Wednesday, January 14, 2009

And The Time To Beat Is 3:14

The boys love going to the playground at the elementary school a half mile from the house.
We bring soccer balls, basketballs and other implements of recreational destruction.
It's tough to foresee what each boy might do in regard to sports in the coming years. My slightly autistic son, Curt, 6, took to Little Dribblers basketball more than expected last year, and his little brother, Luke, 5, showed great potential as well.
Of course, I'm partial to running. Having been too small, weak and slow for sports in junior high and high school, I took to band. It wasn't until decades later that I discovered my abilities in long-distance running, and it since has become a lifetime dedication. It's relatively safe and, to me, is the best exercise ever.
But forcing that kind of thing on 5- and 6-year-olds is not a good thing. They'd wind up hating it for life. Plus, they're too young for any more than playground running and some easy laps. Besides, make a kid run too far, too fast and too soon increases the chances for injury and permanent injury later in life. They're little legs aren't ready for it.
Elementary and junior high kids shouldn't do anymore than 5Ks, while those in high school and college shouldn't do more than 10Ks. Marathons should be reserved for adults in their late 20s and beyond. Anything more can shorten a running career.
Part of me is itching for my boys to join me in a 5K. That would take training, and they're not ready for that.
But a recent trip to the elementary playground gave me hope that this might happen sooner than later.
An asphalt track, which I'd guess is about a quarter to a third of a mile long, surrounds the playground and soccer field. The kids were on the playground equipment when Curt decided he was going to take a lap.
To my surprise, he walk-ran the whole thing and cut no corners. Of course, Luke had to do the same, only this time I did the "ready, set, go!" thing and timed him.
Luke ran the whole way and made it around the track in a not-too-shabby 3:47. Then Curt wanted to be timed, too, so I started the watch as he took off. Little brother didn't like that at all and gave chase.
The two huffed and puffed their way around the track without stopping or even walking, clocking in at a remarkable 3:14.
After a round of high fives, I took them back to the house for some hydrating. They both declared they loved running and wanted to go to the track with me some time soon, which I might just do.
I proud of the little buggers, and it gave me hope that father-sons race participation is not far away.
But I better hit the track more often myself, because one thing I most definitely want to prolong is that day when I'm giving it all I've got, only to have one of those little buggers pass me for the first time - and most likely forever more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home