Friday, December 26, 2008

No Snakes Yet, But ...

There's always one house on the block where all the kids go. The mom is always accommodating, and maybe the kids who live there have better stuff with which to play.
While our new Tyler home so far hasn't had the same wildlife excitement as our Pinewood place, the abundance of furry things running amok is perhaps greater.
I came home a couple of weeks ago to find not one but three dogs running around our back yard. The neighbor's dogs, wanting to socialize with our fun-loving puppy, burrowed their way under the fence. They've been back a couple of times since then.
Last night, a yappy dog from another neighbor's yard somehow got into our back yard, and my wife awoke at 3 a.m. today to find some woman walking around in our back yard with a flashlight and trying to corner her little yipper.
This came after I engaged in a cat rodeo in our new attic.
We were saddling up to go to the park yesterday so my kids could test drive some Christmas presents when my alarmed wife reported some strange noises above the master bedroom. Something was scratching at the air-conditioner duct.
Immediately, I suspected the neighbor's cat, who is rather nosy and will just walk in through any open door. It must be addicted to curiosity, more so than the usual cat.
So I put on a dust mask and head lamp, loaded up the pellet gun and headed up the ladder, which is in the garage. I didn't want to take the chance that it was an angry raccoon and not be armed.
I immediately saw the glowing eyes in the far corner of the attic, and sure enough, it was "Lucky," the nosy black cat from next door. As I carefully made my way across the dusty attic, Lucky pushed deep into the insulation in the far corner, so much so that I couldn't even see him.
I tossed a few little boards in his direction, hoping to scare him out, but he wouldn't budge. After a few minutes of coaxing, he finally came out, scampered across the attic and went down the staircase.
From now on, if Lucky wants to live up to his name, he might want to dial down his curiosity. Otherwise, he might wander into a portal somewhere from which there is no return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home