Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Loss Of A Mother

Mom was skeptical last year when I asked to say a few words at my dad's funeral services. She apparently liked what she heard, because on her death bed last week she asked that I do the eulogy for her, which I delivered Tuesday.
Just before Hurricane Ike, she went to a Houston hospital complaining of stomach pains. Days later, with her condition rapidly worsening, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, a very nasty and aggressive thing.
She died a week ago today.
I always figured she'd live to be 100 or at least outlive her husband, who died at age 87, and her mother, who died at age 90.
But she really never got over her broken heart over my dad's passing, and I believe that profound grief and loneliness allowed her body turned on itself.
With my dad, who died two months after surgical complications, I had plenty of time to reflect on his life. With my mom, I only had a matter of days.
I don't want to reveal her age, due to an agreement we had long ago. I agreed not to tell anyone her age in exchange for her not coaching me while I drove.
But, boy did she live a full life.
Her side of the family has a rich history. Our early ancestors came up from Mexico in a covered wagon in the early 1800s and helped settle Texas. Two of our ancestors fought for Texas independence at the Battle of San Jacinto.
My mother was raised by a single mother in Dallas during The Great Depression. When she was old enough to leave home, she made up for her struggles by living large in California and San Antonio. She even had a date with Dan Blocker. If Hoss Cartright from “Bonanza” is grilling you a steak, you know you’re living large.
She eventually settled in Houston, where she became an executive secretary for a major oil company. She was a part of the same long-gone 1950s social scene as famous Houstonians such as Al Vargo and Sonny Looks.
She married my dad in 1962 and moved into their new home on their wedding night. They shared that home for 44 years, and she lived in it right up until her fateful trip to the hospital last month.
With my sister and I off to college, she channeled her empty-nest syndrome into a new business. She dressed up in Victorian garb and gave Beatrix Potter presentations to children in libraries and classrooms all over the Houston area. She became rather famous, too.
She was always someone I could count on in a fix, whether it be emotional, financial or whatever.
Mom was quite a character, and I'm going to miss her. I feel like a vital link to my childhood is all gone.
I take comfort in knowing that she is reunited with Dad. Her suffering is over, and her broken heart is now mended.
Here's a little video my brother-in-law put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_G2wA0OCDI

5 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Whitehead said...

I loved the youtube video of your mother. I lost my dad this year. He too was a great person and served his country in WWII with General Patton in the Normandy Invasion plus four more campaigns. She made me think of how wonderful it was to grow up with parents like that. I'm sure she makes you smile every day.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I pray that your memories of precious moments gone by will be only surpassed by the moments that are to come when you join them again where no pain, sorrow, or death will ever dim your eyes. I know she and your father were proud of you and your beautiful family and accomplishments. We shall all meet again on the other shore. May God be your strength to go on a leave a legacy and heritage to your children even greater than was left to you. Though I have never met you, I have enjoyed your web log and your sense of "realness" and principles. I know that God will be your strength as you finish the course that has been set before you. Run Brian with same tenacity that carried your parents Home and be not weary in well-doing.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I pray

8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brian,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your Mother. She was a wonderful lady and a devoted wife and Mother. I know that you will miss her dearly but take solace in the knowledge that she and you Dad are back together. Please give my condolences to Kristen as well.

Peter

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With deepest sympathy,
Jo

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home