Friday, November 23, 2007

Working The Post-Thanksgiving Friday

Friends and relatives often ask why I work the Friday after Thanksgiving, and I usually answer with this: "The news don't stop for weekends and holidays!"
I've worked almost every Friday after Thanksgiving for the past 21 years. I suppose I could take it off, like most people do, but I rather like being up here on a day like today.
The newsroom is relatively quiet. My phone isn't ringing. I've got some weekend stories to concentrate my editing skills on with little, if any, interruption.
Barring some big breaking news, my day will be rather relaxing. I like to edit under these conditions, because I can focus and treat raw copy as little puzzles that might need some fixin'. I just finished editing a story that required me to change something in almost every sentence, little things such as a missing comma, although I did find a couple of incomplete sentences. I just deleted those. Nobody will notice anything missing. I promise.
At some point, I'll wander over to the gym for lunch. It'll be quiet there, too. I'll dial in an easy workout to burn off some of yesterday's gorging and then return to the office, where I'll leisurely edit a few more things, keep one eye on the Texas A&M-t.u. game and then call it a day, hopefully sooner than later.
Thousands today are in the mosh pit at the local malls and elsewhere. I don't have the motivation or energy for that kind of thing.
Shopping tops my list of least-favorite activities that don't include colonoscopies, dental work and pouring habanero sauce in my eye. I get frustrated at people's general misunderstanding of the logical ebbs and flows of human movement. I'd know if it I were blocking someone's path, so why can't you?
I'll leave all that for the mall masochists. For me, the day after Thanksgiving is an unofficial stealth holiday, one of quiet relaxation, with thoughts turning toward Christmas.
Of course, as soon as I hit the "publish post" button on this baby, I'm sure all hell will break loose out there.
So here we go ...

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Ivy said...

I swore i'd never shop the day after thanksgiving after I worked retail as a teenager.. NEVER will i shop the day after thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a relaxing day.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home