Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wanna Run A Marathon? Here's How!

I always get a kick out of conversations like I had this past Saturday after I finished cutting the lawn:

Neighbor: You still running?
Me: Heck yeah!
Neighbor: You training for any marathons?
Me: Not right now. Maybe I'll do one in the spring.
Neighbor: I'm thinking about doing maybe a half marathon next year, but I'm only up to 4 miles. I don't see how you do those long runs on weekends. Did you run this morning?
Me: Yep.
Neighbor: How far did you go?
Me: 13
Neighbor: < : - 0 To a marathoner, 13 miles isn't all that big a deal. In between ramp ups for a marathon, must of us will cut back our weekly mileage drastically but still run 10- to 15-mile long runs on the weekends, or maybe every other weekend.That way, when marathon training time starts, we don't have to start from scratch. Plus, we like to run and stay in shape. Furthermore, just because we can. Most non-runners, and even most low-mileage runners, can't fathom doing the long distances, and neither could I when I started training for my first one back in 1994. Early in the year, I was overweight and out of shape, so I decided to do a little running. I barely finished 2 miles. Afterward, sitting on the couch and disgusted with myself, I just happened to look over at a bookshelf in my apartment and saw a running book that someone had given to me years ago, but I hadn't cracked it open. I fetched it and started flipping through it. And then I saw it: A 26-week marathon program. I decided that I was going to do a marathon. No one thought I'd do it. Not my friends. Not my family. Six months later, I triumphantly finished the Houston Marathon, and I've been running marathons ever since, 16 to date, including Boston. I'm just over the bubble of my prime, I think, so rather than shoot for my fastest marathon, I'm trying to do one in every state. I've knocked out eight states: Texas, Massachusetts, Virginia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee. It's going to take me years to accomplish this goal, even if I try to do two per year. But it gives me a goal, and goals are very important to most runners. I couldn't just go out and run for the pure enjoyment and fitness benefits of running. I have to have a goal, and the 50-state goal will keep my busy for quite a while. Then I suppose I'll do one on every continent or something, if I'm still alive. But I plan to live for a long time, because running is a fountain of youth, in my opinion. I try to tell people this, but few people believe me. They say they're too old or too fat or too brittle. Or they say they get too bored or fear that running will destroy their hips, knees and feet.For those who need a little inspiration, just look at this: http://www.baa.org/2006/cf/public/TopFinishers.htm
These are the results of the 2006 Boston Marathon, and here are some interesting statistics to chew on:
The top finisher for a male older than 70 was 3 hours and 52 minutes. In my most recent marathon, in Nashville, I clocked the same time, meaning that this 43-year-old would have trouble beating the best 70-year-old man in Boston. The top 70+ female came in at an amazing 4 hours and 46 minutes.
It gets even more interesting in the 60-69 age group, where the top male came in at an astounding 2:58:42. That's a pace of under 6 minutes and 56 seconds per mile.
My best time - the 3:13 in the 1999 Austin Marathon that got me qualified for Boston - would not have barely crocked the Top 10 in the 60-69 age group. My recent 3:52 wouldn't have made the Top 15.
So little old ladies and men beat the pants off me in marathons.
So, serious health problems aside, I don't see being old as a reason not to run, and these kinds of senior times give me hope that I might chalk up another personal best some day. After all, I have more than 20 years to do it.
Being overweight gives someone even more of a reason to run, as running is the No. 1 form of calorie-burning exercise. A runner burns roughly 110 calories per mile, depending on weather, weight, speed and other factors, of course.
So last Saturday, on a 13-mile run, I burned more than 1,400 calories. That easily took care of the beer and pizza from the night before.
Of course, not everyone is cut out for running, and I respect that. However, everyone should exercise in some way, even if it's just a brisk walk, yoga or weight-bearing exercises. It helps prevent long-term health problems and keeps the body youthful and fit.
Anyway, as far as running goes, I think just about everyone can do it, and I think just about anyone can do a marathon if they put their mind and time to it.
Looking at a lot of the marathon training schedules out there, I can see why many people would consider it intimidating. Heck, I wouldn't do them.
For the most part, they are too high mileage. You don't need to run more than 6 miles for a weekday run. You can get away with running only 3 days a week, with a little cross-training thrown in. I've run all but a couple of my marathons without cracking 40 miles a week. You can't be too lazy with the low-mileage approach, but less certainly can be more, because it reduces injury risk. I haven't had a major injury in almost 10 years.
Also, I've successfuly trained about a half dozen beginner marathons with my approach, and I'll share that with you now.
So here it is, my couch jockey to marathoner training program. Of course, it's never a bad idea to check with your physician first before getting into something like this.
Good luck, godspeed and remember one thing: Every run is chapter, and every marathon is a story.

Week 1
Monday: Run a half mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Wednesday: Run a half mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Thursday: Run a half mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Saturday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Week 2
Monday: Run a half mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Wednesday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Thursday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a half mile. Walk a half mile.
Saturday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a mile. Walk a half mile.
Week 3
Monday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a mile.
Wednesday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a mile.T
hursday: Run a mile. Walk a half mile. Run a mile.
Saturday: Run 2 miles.
Week 4
Monday: Run a mile.
Wednesday: Run 1.5 miles.
Thursday: Run 1.5 miles.
Saturday: Run 2 miles
Week 5
Monday: Run a mile.
Wednesday: Run 2 miles.
Thursday: Run 2 miles.
Saturday: Run 3 miles.
Week 6
Monday: Run a mile.
Wednesday: Run 2 miles
Thursday: Run 2 miles
Saturday: Run 4 miles
Week 7
Monday: Run a mile
Wednesday: Run 3 miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Saturday: Run 4 miles
Week 8
Monday: Run 2 miles
Wednesday: Run 3 miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Saturday: Run 5 miles
Week 9
Monday: Run 2 miles
Wednesday: Run 3 miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Saturday: Run 6 miles!
Week 10
M: 2
W: 4
Th: 4
Sat: 6
Week 11
M: 2
W: 4
Th: 4
Sat: 8
Week 12
M: 2
W: 4
Th: 4
Sat: 10
Week 13
M: 2
W: 5
Th: 5
Sat: 10
Week 14
M: 3
W: 5
Th: 5
Sat: 12
Week 15
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 10
Week 16
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 12
Week 17
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 14
Week 18
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 12
Week 19
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 16
Week 20
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 12
Week 21
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 18
Week 22
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 12
Week 23
M: 3
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 20!!!!!
Week 24
M: 3
W: 5
Th: 5
Sat: 10
Week 25
M: 4
W: 6
Th: 6
Sat: 20
Week 26
T: 5
Th: 5
Sat: 15
Week 27
M: 2
W: 4
Th: 4
Sat: 8
Week 28
T: 4
Th: 2
Sat/Sun: MARATHON!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home