Thursday, August 31, 2006

Fall's First Kiss

Outside of holidays, birthdays and other special occasions, there is no point in the year I look forward to more than the first cool front before fall really kicks in.
Something about that light touch of coolness gives me a sense of relief, lifting that gawdawful hot, wet towel of Southeast Texas summer off the shoulders.
This morning, all stretched up and ready for a pre-dawn run, I stepped outside and felt the weight of 100,000 sweat drops alight my soul. I estimated the temperature to be in the high 50s.
Not bad for late August. In fact, I can't remember the last time the season's first cool front came this early. I wonder what it means for winter, whether it will arrive early and be colder than usual. That would be groovy.
Being of Scandinavian descent, my personal biology likes the cold, although I'd rather live down here and play golf during the winter than live up north and shovel snow.
Last year, that first fall preview came cruelly later than usual. Hurricane Rita had passed, and the electricity remained off. The days were hot, humid and miserable. I lost about 20 pounds in no time, despite eating more than usual, just out of pure stress and sometimes boredom.
The first cold front reportedly was on its way. We waited and waited. COME ON! WHERE ARE YOU?
I found myself more annoyed with its tardiness than I did the whole Rita mess. Finally, it arrived and breathed new life into our daily toils.
This year, I had no idea the cool front was coming. Wednesday seemed drier and cooler than normal, so I figured something had blown through.
The morning run confirmed it. I wear a headlamp when I run, thanks to the venomous snakes slithering about. (I narrowly avoided a water moccasin on the road last week.) This morning, I could see my breath in the headlamp light.
Soon, my favorite month, October, will be here. I envision backyard fires and barbecues, raking leaves and drinking dark German beer. Brisket and my homemade chili. Running in the cool air. Maybe training for another marathon.
And last but not least: FOOTBALL!
Sure, the cool temperatures will come and go for the next few months before the north defeats the south in the Gulf Coast climatology war.
But it won't matter, because the first cool front has arrived, kicking my head irreversibly into the fall.
Aaaaaaaaahhh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home