Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Take A Walk

This nifty site ranks America's most walkable cities:

http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/

Here is the Top 10
1.) San Francisco: I don't know about this. I've walked San Francisco a number of times, and you need legs of steel to handle all the hills. Luckily, the city has great public transportation.
2.) New York: I've never walked it, but I've driven it. I'd rather walk it ... or maybe even lie on my back and scootch myself around on the pavement with my legs. Driving is a nightmarish bloodsport there.
3.) Boston: This is a great walking city, although the people can be grumpy and might not give you the time of day. I'd rank it No. 1.
4.) Chicago: Another great walking city.
5.) Philadelphia: I've never been there, but Rocky made it look like an interesting running city.
6.) Seattle: A great walking city, but kind of a San Francisco Light.
7.) Washington, D.C.: Should be in the Top 3.
8.) Long Beach, Calif.: Never been there.
9.) Los Angeles, Calif.: There are good things to walk and bad things to walk here ...
10.) Portland: Never been there, but they tell me it's nice.

Other Texas cities on the Top 40 list: Dallas (24), Houston (26), Austin (29), El Paso (31), San Antonio (32) and Fort Worth (45). I've run marathons in all of those except El Paso and Fort Worth.

I'd rank their walk value this way:
1.) Austin
2.) San Antonio
3.) Fort Worth
4.) Dallas
5.) Houston
6.) El Paso

You can also plug in addresses/street names and get a rating. Main Street in Beaumont scored a 65 out of 100, making it "somewhat walkable." Dowlen Road got a 38 out of 100, making it "car dependent."
The scores seem heavily dependent on businesses such as restaurants.
My street out in Pinewood near Sour Lake got a horrific 5 out of 100.
This makes no sense. It's a quiet peaceful, neighborhood. Kids cruise up and down on bicycles and golf carts. Groups of women walk for miles in the mornings. There's even a grocery store-restaurant down the street and a restaurant at the golf course a half mile away.
Oh well. I guess the walkability folks aren't too crazy about snakes ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home