Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Snake Of The Week-Aug. 12

Strange things were afoot the other morning in the ficus tree in the pot outside our front door in Pinewood.
It looked like some kind of debris, but a closer inspection revealed a small snake. It was a serious snake, though, not one of those little dirt snakes common in Southeast Texas yards.
Every time something like this pops up - which happens just about every week in the wilds of Pinewood - the boys get a biology lesson. In the past week alone, they've gotten lessons on those thumb-sized ants running around as well as a friendly katydid. We discuss the critters in detail and differentiate the good from the bad.
The ficus snake at first glance appeared to be a rat snake, a good guy, but there was that small percentage of doubt that prevented me from grabbing him. So I grabbed a mop and used the handle to dislodge him.
He was not happy about this and began striking the mop handle repeatedly. Then he fell off and quickly slithered between some nearby rocks. Upon further attempts to dislodge him, he made a curious rattling sound, although this clearly was not a rattlesnake.
I ruffed him up a little but managed to get him out and transport him to the front ditch, where I set him free. He was gone by the time I came home from work, possibly thanks to the owls that seem to be quite busy this time of year.
A computer search confirmed it as a rat snake, an easily riled snake that makes a rattling sound with its tail when threatened.
Supposedly, they're easily tamed and make OK pets, but I don't think the wife is game for that. Besides, I get all the snake I need just jogging around the neighborhood in the morning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy P. said...

No.
Snakes.
Ever.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Anniegirl said...

No snake is a good snake. I treat each one as though they are venomous. Since I can't tell one from another, this makes good sense to me!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home