Monday, July 03, 2006

Truck Rental Places Have Gone Bananas

Drastic changes have come to the truck-rental industry since the last time I relied on it almost a decade ago. It seems to have grown into a desperate, paranoid business, one that frustrates users and dealers alike.
At one time, a customer could just walk into a dealership, rent a truck and go. Simple as that. Plenty of trucks for all.
Last Tuesday, thinking I was ahead of the game, I called around to get truck-rental quotes and was to surprised to find few vehicles available for our move, which took place Saturday. Furthermore, the dealerships, even if you provide a credit card number, won't guarantee that the truck still will be there by the time you arrive to fetch it.
I started with a U-Haul in Beaumont. No trucks were available, so I called the dealer in Lumberton and, using a credit card, reserved a 17-footer for $29.95 for a day and 99 cents a mile. Plus, of course, you pay for whatever gas you use. They really stick it to you when you don't drop off the truck as gassed up as when you acquired it.
I was told that there was a chance the truck would not be there when I picked it up. That seemed rather odd.
I wanted to ensure the best deal, so I called around, to places such as Penske, Enterprise, Ryder, Budget and a few mom-and-pop dealers.
Ryder charges $59.99 plus 59 cents a mile for a 16-footer on a Saturday. For the 50 or so miles I traveled Saturday, this did not beat U-Haul. Furthermore, Ryder requires the customer to pay $30 for insurance, even though my auto insurance covers rental trucks. Like with the medical industry, liability apparently has taken its toll on trucking.
Budget does not require the insurance purchase, but it charges $34.99 plus 99 cents a mile for its 15-footer. Penske, according to its web site, charges $19.95 for six hours plus 99 cents a mile for a 16-footer. However, I ultimately needed the truck for longer than that, and Penske charges $29.95 for the 24-hour period, which is what U-Haul charges.
I tried to get a handle on Penske's insurance requirements, but a local contact was so busy that he said he'd have to call back later.
Everyone else I called either rents only for commercial purposes, had no trucks available or charged an outrageous fee for insurance.
I finally just decided to stick with U-haul. On Saturday, when I picked up the truck, the lady there regaled me with hilarious tales of truck pirating, irresponsible customers and a vast array of headaches, which she gladly would shed if she didn't need the money.
Apparently, any truck left out in the open is fair game in the U-Haul shell game, Lumberton Lady told me. If some other dealership needs a truck, someone might be sent out in the night on a mission to retrieve one. Trucks will disappear in the night, resulting in angry, jilted customers in the morning.
Lumberton Lady said that if my truck had not been put behind a locked fence, it would have been long gone by morning. Even behind a locked fence, however, the trucks aren't safe, because some truck pirates carry around key-making tools so they can open locks and swipe trucks, she said.
She also told me about customers who leave their rentals in sorry shape, with a cargo area full of dirt and debris. Lumberton Lady said one customer was so lazy that he just urinated inside the truck cab instead of pull over and use a rest room.
I don't get these people. Not only is this kind of behavior barbaric and irresponsible, they ultimately have to pay an outrageous fee for the cleanup.
So I left the dealership feeling lucky to be behind the wheel of a relatively clean rental truck. As I pulled out of the parking lot, The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" was playing on the radio.

2 Comments:

Blogger SingingSkies said...

Didn't know about the truck pirates. Sure explains a lot about my last attempt at a do-it-yourself move involving a rented truck.

Mine was such a major misadventure that I ended up getting U-Haul to pay for the unneeded hitch that I had to install on the 2nd vehicle I borrowed from a friend and the cost of my paid moving help (long story) who ended up sitting around for 5 hours with nothing to do.

At least they were willing to make good on it. I'll give them credit for that, and a bit more understanding now that I know about the inter-store vulturing.

9:28 PM  
Blogger ~Ivy said...

Ick MOVING! Worse.. Renting a truck to do so.
There seem to be several places in Silsbee to rent a truck.. But that might be a rather annoying drive to make just for a truck.. I'd rather not have the headache of moving.. If I ever have to move again.. maybe i'll just leave everything where its at and let the next person have it..LOL.. Or hire a moving company to do it all.. however that thoughts not that appealing either. Hope your move went well!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home