Friday, February 03, 2006

Hey, I Know A Survivor Contestant!

The CBS show "Survivor" has been a part of my Thursday night television viewing all the way back to its inaugural season in 2000.
My wife and I have yet to miss a season and fewer than a half dozen episodes. There's just something fun about reality television. "Survivor" is like "As the World Turn" meets "Lord of the Flies." It should have have pole-vaulted over the shark by now, I guess, but it seems to still being going strong.
Until the new season, "Survivor Panama," kicked off last night, the only time there was any contestant with a thread of a connection to my life was some Fort Hood soldier in the second season who got booted after supposedly smuggling in beef jerky. I was working in Killeen at the time.
So my wife and I are watching "Survivor" last night, and suddenly she says, "Hey, isn't that the Misty Giles we know from Killeen?"
Sure enough, a quick Internet search answered that question:
http://www.cbs.com
Back in Killeen, where I was managing editor of the newspaper from 1997 to 2001, I served with Misty on several committees, including the America's Promise team. She was also Miss Teen Texas, and my wife interviewed her for a story about it.
I remember Misty, who was a high schooler and around 17 years old at the time, as just about the most well-rounded young adult I've ever known. She performed all kinds of community service and could be found working with all kinds of school and civic groups. She acted like a corporate executive.
Today, she lives in Dallas and works as an engineer.
During last night's "Survivor" episode, as part of some new game twist, she had to spend a night all by herself on Exile Island, where she ate worms and slept on the ground as menacing-looking snakes slithered about.
The upside of Exile Island is that there is something hidden there that will keep a competitor from getting voted out of the game at a Tribal Council, which is where contestants go to vote off each other.
Misty may or may not have found her ticket to one-time salvation on Exile Island. Regardless, she made an effort to make the other competitors think she had it.
I suppose being sneaky just adds to her well-roundedness, and I look forward to watching her compete for that $1 million "Survivor" prize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home