Friday, January 13, 2006

Sesame Street Stew

Dear PBS programmers:

I know you have better things to do than field "Sesame Street" complaints, but I just wanted to register mine in regard to moving the show from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
I'm sure a lot of critical thinking went into the move, but that show at 7 a.m. was part of my morning routine with the kids, ages 2 and 4, who have soaked in numbers, letters and culture like little sponges. Of all the kids shows out there, "Sesame Street" is by far the smartest, most educational and most entertaining. It always has been and likely always will be.
However, I take my hyperintelligent 4-year-old, who is mildly autistic, off to his special education class at 8 a.m., so he no longer benefits from "Sesame Street," although his younger brother still does.
Neither child is interested in "Caillou" at 7 a.m., so I switch it over to The Disney Channel, where "Jo Jo's Circus" is playing. However, they've seen "Jo Jo's Circus" a million times and have only marginal interest in it, so they spend the next 30 minutes doing things like fighting or trying to stick their chubby little fingers in my cereal bowl while I'm reading my newspaper.
They like the opening to "It's A Big Big World" but then quickly go find something else to do, like fighting or trying to stick their chubby little fingers in my cereal bowl while I'm reading my newspaper. I watched a little of it the other day and, frankly, found it kind of stupid, inaccessible and uneducational. I'd rather have "The Three Stooges" on there. At least my boys would learn creative new ways to bonk each other on the head.
"Sesame Street" kept them glued to the TV for the entire hour. (And that's the only TV we let them watch, other than a short video or something right before supper.) Subsequently, my mildly autistic kid had all his letters and numbers through 20 nailed down by age 3 and is now operating close to a 6-year-old's level in school. Furthermore, the whole family did The Sesame Street Dance in the living room during the closing credits, so now I'm missing out on a formerly important part of the morning routine.
Anyway, there it is. Sorry to bug you, but if you could move "Sesame Street" back to 7 a.m., that would be peachy.

Sincerely,
Brian Pearson
Beaumont, Texas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home