Friday, October 07, 2005

Hootenanny

I'm not sure what night it started. Every night, there has been some kind of a party. We stay up too late; get up too early. Someone makes a beer run. Steaks sizzle on the monster grill set up outside the parking garage where we watched Hurricane Rita drop-kick the community Sept. 23-24.
It was only a matter of time before the guitars came out.
Assistant Manager Pete Churton, who plays in a rock band, Buffalo Blonde, was the first, I think. The next day, those who had guitars went scurrying home to get them. Some of them started working on a Rita song. More than once, they stayed up past 5 a.m. working on that damn song.
One evening, despite the curfew, Churton and I went on an equipment roundup, starting at his house, moving on to my house and then over to Buffalo Blonde's practice shack. We grabbed amps, microphones, guitars, etc. I grabbed my trumpet from home.
That night, we set up shop in the third-floor newsroom, then a strange landscape of plastic-covered desks, humidity-reducing blowers, missing floor and ceiling tiles and shiny, futuristic-looking tubing running here and there.
After a shaky start, the group, performing under the working name The Paginators, kicked into some pretty good grooves, with Churton on guitar and vocals, Publisher Aubrey Webb on guitar and vocals, Assistant Publisher Dave Pero on bongos and vocals, Ad Director Jeff Noble on guitar and vocals, information technology wizard Russell Severson on guitar and vocals, and me on the trumpet, doing the best I could to punctuate the proceedings.
Hurricane Rita songwriters then got the recording itch, so Severson brought in his 16-track digital recorder. After another night of practice, we took a whack at recording. After a dozen or so takes, we gave up and went to bed. Severson took his recorder home yesterday.
I don't know what will become of "Rita Oh Rita." Some have talked of it being the soundtrack for a video of our odyssey of the past two weeks.
All I know is that I can't get the thing out my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home