Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bed of Nails

I've been sleeping in a closet since Monday, six days ago. It is in the executive offices. It was nicer before they ripped up the carpet. It wasn't wet or hurt during the storm, but other executive office carpets got soaked, so they had to pull up the closet carpet so that it will match the carpets they install elsewhere. There are nails sticking up everywhere, but I've covered them with the couch cushions I sleep on.
Electricity is still out at home, although places surrounding my neighborhood are getting power.
However, even after power comes to my street, I still can't turn on my master switch, because the pine tree gouged into places where there are wires and bent in half the pole that pokes out from the switch box. The homeowner is responsible for everthing that leaves the main power lines.
Power flowing into the home could start a fire involving a fireworks stand of dead tree limbs. An Elks Club lodge here burned to the ground today for that very reason.
I can't get the house lines inspected until the tree comes off and an electrician gets in to check out things. The tree dudes are coming Tuesday, but getting an electrician in a target-rich environment such as this one might prove highly difficult.
The prolonged Southeast Texas heat and humidity could create a mold problem. I learned this today when the AC quit working again for every area of the newspaper building except the executive offices, and they scrambled to position humidity-lowering fans all over the place. So now we're back to a sticky, sweltering newsroom.
And the three-ring post-storm hassle circus goes 'round and 'round, with the main body of those who fled the storm yet to arrive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home