Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Ho Hum - Another Wild Hurricane Season Expected

William Gray and his merry band of storm predictors at Colorado State University said 2008 will see another busy hurricane season.
The forecast is for 15 named storms between June 1 and Nov. 30. Eight will become hurricanes, and of those eight, four will be major, or Category 3 or bigger with winds of 111 mph or greater. Long-term averages are 9.6 named storms, 5.9 hurricanes and 2.3 intense hurricanes per year.
Read more here: http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu
The storm forecasters said it would be a "well above average" year but not as busy as 2004 and 2005.
I've already got my gas cans ready to go.
I have to say, though, that I'm not too crazy about the names:
Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gustav
Hanna
Ike
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paloma
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred
It seems like most of these are names that parents haven't been giving to kids since the early 1900s, like Hurricane Gladys or Hurricane Ethel.
And Hurricane Nana? That's something you name a kid's safety blanket or a grandmother.
I think it's time for a Hurricane Brian. There hasn't been a Brian in a very long time.
According to this - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml - there isn't one on the books through 2012.
There was a Hurricane Brian when I was a kid, like in fifth grade, during a time when I tracked storms on the charts that came on the backs of paper grocery store bags. I wanted it to be a big, powerful hurricane, but it became a little pipsqueak that swirled harmlessly out into the mid-Atlantic. I can't even find any Internet information on it.
Today, I'd like a big, powerful Hurricane Brian, but after two hurricanes since 2005 in Southeast Texas, I'd prefer it dance alone in the mid-Atlantic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Here's the big news makers (strong cat 3 or higher) who'll make a convincing argument for targeting and making landfall on the US gulf coast --

Bertha, Gustav, Kyle, Rene & Wilford.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home